Beacon Beginnings: Orientation Leader Position Description & Application
2016 Orientation Leader Application Information
The Office for New Student Programs seeks motivated, high energy UMass Boston students to hire for the 2015 Orientation Leaders Staff.
The application deadline is Monday, November 14, 2016 by 11:59pm.
Beacon Beginnings Orientation Leaders will assist with the implementation of the New Student, Transfer, Family Orientation Programs and Welcome Week events. As ambassadors of UMass Boston, Orientation Leaders help new students and their families make a smooth transition to the campus community. Orientation Leaders are extensively trained to be familiar with UMass Boston resources, academic departments, the advising and registration system, and the campus community as well as campus life outside of the classroom. They are passionately committed to the campus and are advocates for student success.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Although the following list is not all inclusive, it contains the primary roles, responsibilities, and expectations of a Beacon Beginnings Orientation Leader.
- Possess excitement and pride for UMass Boston and a strong interest and desire to help new students and their families make a positive transition to the UMass Boston community;
- Exhibit leadership potential and a commitment to the mission of Beacon Beginnings & the Office for New Student Programs;
- Demonstrate the ability to problem solve, use critical thinking skills, manage conflict, and remain flexible under pressure;
- Exhibit strong customer service and interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to work effectively with a diverse group of team members and diverse populations of students and families;
- Be able to give an engaging and exciting tour of campus;
- Possess excellent communication skills for speaking with incoming students and their families;
- Serve as role model to new students and act in a professional manner at all times;
- Identify and express important campus resources to new students;
- Facilitate high energy small groups to acquaint new students and their families with UMass Boston culture, polices, and structure;
- Share with new students the importance of involvement in the campus community;
- Model the UMass Boston campus spirit by participating in videos and clips that will be showne to new students;
- Assist in the administrative preparation of each orientation session (including stuffing folders, set-up and staffing, phone calls, check-in, and follow-up);
- Actively and fully participate in training & leadership course required for the Beacon Beginnings Orientation Leader position, which takes place throughout the Spring Semester;
- Familiarize and assist new students with academic advising and the registration process;
- Respect privacy and confidentiality in relation to working with new students and their family members;
- Commit to participate in ALL pieces of Beacon Beginnings and Fall 2015 and Winter 2016 commitments (e.g. Welcome Weeks, Freshman Investiture, etc.).
- Must be UMass Boston undergraduate student and must have completed at least 12 credit hours at UMass Boston by the start of the Spring Semester.
- Must be returning to UMASS Boston for the next academic semester (Fall 2015).
- Students graduating in the Spring of 2015 may are NOT eligible to apply, unless students are enrolled in summer courses. Note: This will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
- Must be in good academic and judicial standing. Candidates cannot be on academic or disciplinary probation.
- Must be available to participate in a mandatory weekly training & leadership course throughout the Spring 2015 Semester (dates and times TBD).
- Attend a mandatory Orientation Staff Retreat in the Spring 2015 Semester (dates and times TBD).
- All selected Orientation Leaders must available to work throughout the Summer 2015 and Winter 2015 (unless graduating in Dec. 2015) months for all freshman, transfer, and international Beacon Beginnings Orientation dates.
- Orientation Leaders will average of 10- 20 hours per week, when working during the Summer months (May- August 2015) and over the Winter sessions (December 2015-January 2016).
- Orientation Leaders will also be compensated for time spent at the Orientation Staff Training events, Welcome Week events, and other program- related events.
- Breakfast and Lunch will be provided for Orientation Leaders on orientation sessions.
- Parking passes will be provided on Orientation dates only.
- Orientation apparel and other items will also be provided.
- Total wage: ~ $10 - $11 per hour or the stipend equivalent (will be finalized upon offer).
Applications must be submitted ONLINE no later than Monday, November 14, 2016 at 11:59pm. Click here to complete your application now!
For more information, contact the Office for New Student Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617.287.5813.